[singlepic id=21 w=150 h=120 ]
Orchid in Full Bloom
Orchid brings a new sparkle to Ferndale’s nightlife.
Looking for a new hot spot to dance the night away? Orchid can fill that desire and then some.
Upon entering Orchid, you’ll see that the 5,600-square-foot dance club has a high ceiling, giving the place a big open feel, plus a sparkling silvery floor, colorful lights and about 16 flat screens, which line the walls and play dance-music videos. The dance floor is at the center of the club, where a large silver curtain hangs from the ceiling. It gives the place a glittering backdrop as people hit the floor to get their groove on.
A number of private booths and tables can be reserved if you call ahead. The bar runs along one side of the building, where you’ll find the lovely bartending ladies of Orchid dressed sassy and sexy. Toward the other side of the venue, you’ll find the DJ booth and a stage for nights that feature live entertainment.
The bar starts to fill up around 11 p.m., and the crowd is an eclectic mix of people, with an age range somewhere between 21 and about 40. This is definitely a great spot to check out with a group of friends for a night filled with fun, drinks and dancing.
Orchid brings a new energy to Ferndale, adding to the variety of dance clubs in town. Because seriously, not everyone wants to go to Boogie Fever, which has proclaimed itself as “Home of the Cougars.”
Bar Fly Hit Parade
• On the Spot Impression: “I love Orchid! This is a great place for a night on the town. It’s a fun place to go with a group of friends and to grab some cheap drinks before 11 p.m. I love how they play music videos in the bar,” says Lisa McCarthy of Dearborn.
• Drink Cost: Thursday through Saturday Orchid features $2 drinks before 11 p.m. The drink cost average after 11 p.m. is $5 for drinks and $3.75 for beer.
• Clientele: The crowd is mixed from 21 up to about 40. There is no dress code. You’ll see everything from people in jeans and T-shirts to people dressed to the nines in evening attire.
• Music: Thursday night features local favorite cover band the Killer Flamingos, who play a variety of danceable hits that are pop, rock and electronica. Friday night features DJ Paul and DJ Bethany, and Saturday night features live entertainment and DJ Rikki and DJ Mikki. Every night features a variety of hot club hits that’ll get you on the floor to dance the night away.
• Bar Appeal: Orchid is great for a night out with friends for a birthday party, a girls or guys night out, a bachelorette party or to blow off some steam and just dance.
• Accessibility: Parking is metered and on the street; there also are metered parking lots. There are two entrances to Orchid, through the front door off of Nine Mile Road or the back door on Troy Street.
• Queue Factor: There is no cover before 10 p.m. and a $5 cover charge afterward. You can print out a free pass for Fridays by
going to Orchid’s website at orchidferndale.com. The bar also features a heated outdoor patio. There is no kitchen, but they have free pizza at last call.
• Location and Hours: 141 W. Nine Mile Road, Ferndale. (248) 506-6586. Thursday–Saturday 9 p.m.–2 a.m.