Six Cheeses … and 64 Martinis?
Deciding could be difficult at Amici’s Pizza & Living Room.
Who ever said a restaurant/lounge that serves food on paper plates can’t be classy?
Amici’s Pizza & Living Room offers award-winning pizza and dazzling, delectable martinis served in a warm atmosphere (with the works of local artists showcased on the walls).
Amici’s originally was founded in 1993 in a strip mall in Royal Oak by George Stark and Sal Parko. As their success and popularity grew, they relocated to a bigger venue on 12 Mile Road in Berkley. Later, they converted the storefront next door into the “Living Room,” featuring a cozy atmosphere with a fireplace and dozens of martinis.
In 2005, the enterprise was passed to George’s sister Jennifer Stark and her business partner, Maureen McNamara. The two have continued to produce fantastic fare for the masses and have brought a green ideology to their business.
The star of Amici’s is its award-winning pizza — featuring a large selection of classic and gourmet toppings, six cheeses including a vegan option, homemade herbed tomato sauce and four types of crust including a gluten-free option. With a variety of vegetarian and vegan choices, herbivores and carnivores can peacefully co-exist at Amici’s.
You can create your own topping configuration, or you can go with one of Amici’s creative pies. Signature pizzas include a blackened chicken pizza, roasted red pepper pizza, seafood and even a smoked salmon pizza. Other items on the menu include breadsticks, salads, sandwiches and lasagna.
Whether you go to Amici’s for a meal or just for drinks, its extensive martini menu offers up to 64 unique elixirs that are sure to please the palate. The exotic martini concoctions include the Asian Pear, Key Lime Pie, Milk Dud, Organic Cucumber-tini and many more.
In addition to its scrumptious pizza and intoxicating martinis, Amici’s also is a Certified Green Restaurant accredited by the Green Restaurant Association. All serve ware is biodegradable and composed of 100-percent post-consumer content. This includes the plates, utensils and bowls made of sugarcane. The candles that adorn the tables are made from soy, and all cleaning supplies used in the restaurant are green.
BAR FLY HIT PARADE
• On the Spot Impression: “The ingredients Amici’s uses are fresh and unique. I love roasted garlic on a pizza. The atmosphere is warm and friendly — a great place to go with friends. And they have a very colorful selection of martinis,” says Scott Taylor of Linden.
• Drink Cost: $6-$9. Average pizza is $15-$19.
• Clientele: The crowd at Amici’s is mixed depending on what time you arrive. The age range is 21-55; and earlier in the evening, it’s not uncommon for families and teenagers to be dining on Amici’s delicious pizzas and breadsticks.
• Music: A mix of everything from alternative to soul played on the house sound system.
• Bar Appeal: Amici’s is a very versatile place; it’s great for a date, a night out with friends, dinner with the family, special occasions and any other reason to have some mouth-watering pizza and martinis.
• Accessibility: Parking is free on the street. Parking also is available in the Council Thrift Shop lot behind the building after 7 p.m. on weeknights.
• Queue Factor: Amici’s fills up pretty quickly on the weekends; you’ll want to get there early to find a seat. During the summer, enjoy an outdoor patio for an alfresco dining experience.
• Location and Hours: 3249 W. 12 Mile, Berkley. Sunday-Thursday, 4-10 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 4 p.m.-2 a.m. (248) 544-4100.
To view the full martini and food menu, visit amicispizza.com.