Louis Brandeis (1856-1941) was, perhaps, the foremost Jewish legal mind in American history. His career…
QUICK CLICK … Vignettes From The JN Archives, July 31, 2014
DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital is the largest of the eight hospitals that comprise the Detroit Medical Center. It has been known as Sinai-Grace since 1999 following the merger of Sinai and Grace Hospitals, each of which had long-established local presences: Grace Hospital was established in 1888 and Sinai Hospital was established in 1953.
Sinai Hospital was the result of several decades of committed planning and fundraising by local Jewish communal organizations, most notably the Mount Sinai Hospital Association, which was organized in 1937. The association’s singular goal was to establish a Jewish hospital in the city of Detroit.
The opening ceremonies of Sinai Hospital, which were attended by approximately 10,000 Detroiters, were documented in the Jan. 9, 1953, issue of the Jewish News. This image shows the chairman of the Jewish Hospital Association’s building committee Nate S. Shapero (right), hospital president Max Osnos (left) and hospital director Dr. Julien Priver at the hospital’s ribbon cutting ceremony. ■
Dallas Pillen | Detroit Jewish News Foundation Fellow