Maccabi In Miami
Detroit’s 55 athletes, four artists, seven coaches and two delegation heads returned this past weekend from the JCC Maccabi Games & ArtsFest in Miami, Fla.
There were three Detroit teams — hockey and two 16U boys basketball. The other Detroit athletes competed in individual sports or on teams with other delegations.
We’ll detail the accomplishments of Detroit’s athletes and artists, including the bronze medal won by the hockey team, over the next few weeks. In the meantime, here’s who made up the Detroit delegation in Miami.
- Baseball (14U): Mitch Blackman, Darin Char, Brandon Gladstone, Zachary Shiffman.
- Baseball (16U): Ilan Farabi, Adam Gordon.
- Boys basketball (16U): Mac Bauer, Jackson Blau, Dylan Bolton, A.J. Gilbert, Max Goldstein, Ryan Lipman, Ryan Otis, Mitchell Sherr, Ari Singer, Evan Vine, Justin Yaker, Sam Zack, Blake Zamler.
- Boys soccer (14U): Benjie Stern.
- Boys swimming: Michael Umanisky.
- Dance: Alana Appel, Mandi Fealk, Emma Goldschmidt, Sloan Lemberg, Mari Lynn, Alex and Ava Mison, Chloe Schram, Nicole Spizizen, Rachel Weiss and Hailey Whalen.
- Girls swimming: Kyle Pazner, Emilia Tchernenko.
- Girls tennis (16U): Madison Narens, Jenna Silverman.
- Hockey: Gabe Barish, Ryan Berke, Miles Berlin, Spencer Blatt, Marcus Frankel, Eric Gal, Jonah Greenblatt, Noah Jacobs, Matthew Jasgur, Max Miller, Dylan Resnick, Jackson Roberts, Andrew Schwartz, Matt Segall, Jonah Stone, Cameron Young and Daniel Zalesin.
- Volleyball: Nia Kepes.
- ArtsFest: Caitlyn Finerty, Benny Kirshner, Lily Kollin, Celia Lipton.
- Coaches: Linda and Melanie Taylor (dance), Jeremy and Jeff Fishman (boys basketball), Jacob and David Charlip (hockey), Mark Weiss (hockey).
- Delegation head: Karen Gordon.
- Assistant delegation head: Eli Tagar.
Here are the final standings in the InterCongregational Men’s Club Summer Softball League:
- Greenberg Division: Temple Israel (6) 17-1; Temple Israel (5) 15-2-1; Temple Israel (2) 12-6; Temple Israel (1) 9-9; Temple Shir Shalom (1) 9-9; Adat Shalom Synagogue (2) 2-15-1.
- Koufax Division: Congregation B’nai Moshe 13-5; Congregation Shir Tikvah 12-5-1; Temple Beth El 10-7-1; Temple Israel (3) 10-8; Congregation Beth Ahm 6-12; Young Israel of Southfield 4-14.
- Rosen Division: Congregation Shaarey Zedek 12-6; Temple Israel (4) 10-8; Shir Shalom (2) 9-9; Bais Chabad Torah Center 7-11; Adat Shalom (1) 3-15; Temple Kol Ami/B’nai Israel Synagogue 0-18.
Playoff games were held Sunday and the championship games this coming Sunday in each division were set. Here’s the schedule:
- Greenberg Division: Temple Israel (6) vs. Temple Israel (5).
- Koufax Division: Temple Israel (3) vs. Beth El.
- Rosen Division: Shaarey Zedek vs. Shir Shalom (2).
A new feature was added to the league this season. Ten players participated in a home run derby Sunday at Keith Field No. 3 in West Bloomfield.
Eight players hit from home plate. Matt Broder won with 10 homers overall and five in the final round against Todd Kaluzny.
Billy Wiseman, who organized the derby, faced off against Rick Sherline hitting from the pitcher’s mound.
Wiseman walked off with a 3-2 victory with one out left.
The victories by Broder and Wiseman meant all $100 from home run derby entrance fees will go to the Men’s Club at Beth El.
“We’d like to make the home run derby a staple of our league for years to come,” Wiseman said.
Send sports news to email@example.com.
Support the Detroit Jewish News Foundation
Support the educational mission of the independent, nonprofit Detroit Jewish News Foundation.