I don’t know about you, but almost a week of 100-degree heat is really starting to tire me out. It can be hard to remember when your head is in a warm fog, but one of the most important things to do when the heat rises and the sweat drips is to stay hydrated and keep your body nourished with nutritional food.
The Fourth of July is almost here and the endless BBQ meals, pool days, family time and my favorite dessert are about to be in full force!
A piece of fruit is one of my favorite snacks to have on hand during hot summer days. Watermelon is a staple in my summer diet, and you all will love this awesome and EASY recipe for your Fourth of July festivities.
Watermelon Pops are refreshing and fun to make and eat, and this recipe will make a generous 30 popsicles.
Here are the ingredients listed on the website (with a few modifications of my own):
- 1 2-to-3-pound seedless watermelon sliced thick to about 1 1/2 inches. I use organic, but a regular watermelon is fine!
- 7 ounces of melted bittersweet or white chocolate. (Replace with vegan chocolate for a fleishig or animal-friendly dessert. I recommend Lily’s Chocolate for a delicious vegan option.)
- Red, white and blue sprinkles
- 30-inch star-shaped cookie cutter (Check your local craft stores, Target or Five Below.)
- Popsicle sticks
Now for the preparation:
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper
- Use your cookie cutter to cut out star shapes from the watermelon
- Insert the popsicle stick into each end of the star-shaped watermelon
- Use a fork to drizzle a generous amount of melted chocolate onto each star
Now, it’s finally time for the fun part. If you have kids, grab them to help you!
- Decorate the pops with sprinkles and any other toppings you want to throw on!
- Place them into a refrigerator until the chocolate is firm.
It’s important to remember to serve this within an hour of making, otherwise the chocolate could soak into the watermelon leaving you with a soggy dessert.