Beyond round challot, apples and honey, there are many symbolic foods to include in Rosh…
Holiday Apple Cake Recipe
A moist, subtly spiced honey cake studded with apples to carry on the sweet tradition of Rosh Hashanah.
Check out this apple cake recipe!
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/8 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup GOLDEN BLOSSOM HONEY
- 3/4 cup strongly brewed coffee, cooled
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple, sliced for topping
- 2 tablespoons GOLDEN BLOSSOM HONEY for apple topping
Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 10-inch tube pan.
Sift together the first 6 ingredients. Set aside.
With an electric mixer beat sugar, oil and eggs until combined. Add honey and beat until well blended. Add dry ingredients alternately with coffee, beating on low until combined. Stir in chopped apples by hand.
Pour batter into prepared pan. Toss sliced apples with honey so that they caramelize, then arrange slices on top of batter. Bake about 1 hour or until cake tests done. Let cool on rack 10 minutes. Carefully remove cake from pan and cool. This cake can be baked one day ahead. The flavors just improve.