Detroit Pistons ad for a game against Chicago November 30, 2018

Snowbirds: Renew Your License or Tabs Before You Head South

Michigan Secretary of State Ruth Johnson reminds residents heading south for the winter to renew their driver’s licenses and plates before leaving Michigan.

“Before you travel, make sure your driver’s license and license plate tabs are up to date,” Johnson said. “We offer several options for renewing that make it quick and easy. And, if your license or tabs are due to expire while you are gone, you can renew them early and not have to worry about it later.”

People can renew plates for individually owned or leased cars, pickup trucks, vans and motorcycles up to six months before they expire. They can renew early online at or at a Secretary of State office even if they have not received their renewal information in the mail. License plate tabs will arrive by mail within two weeks. Company-owned passenger plates cannot be renewed early.

Driver’s licenses and state ID cards can be renewed up to a year in advance. Motorists also have the option of obtaining a REAL ID-compliant license or state ID card at no extra cost when renewing. Certain paperwork is required, so drivers are encouraged to check the Secretary of State website  or call the Department of State Information Center at 888-SOS-MICH (767-6424) for more details.




Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Stay up-to-date with the Detroit Jewish New! Subscribe to our Newsletter.


ad reading "place your ad in this space call Keith: 248-351-5107."

Support the Detroit Jewish News Foundation

Support the educational mission of the independent, nonprofit Detroit Jewish News Foundation.

%d bloggers like this: