The decision was reached after extensive research and deliberation between leadership.
On May 4, Tamarack Camps sent an email to families and donors alerting them that all summer 2020 programming would be cancelled due to the continuing threat of the COVID-19 pandemic.
“This decision, ultimately, was driven by science and medicine, based upon the recognition that the known and unknown risks of transmission could significantly compromise the hallmark of our organization, an unyielding commitment to health and safety,” the announcement read.
Parents and guardians were presented with three different payment options: rolling over payment to summer 2021, donating all or part of their camp fees to the organization or obtaining a full refund. They could also combine the different options.
Tamarack has scheduled virtual town hall meetings for parents and guardians on Monday, May 4 and Tuesday, May 5 to discuss how they came to the decision and the financial implications.
“For over a century, Tamarack Camps has been home to transformational experiences that create wonderful memories – wrapped within the gift of lifelong relationships and a love of Judaism,” read the announcement. “Having prepared all year to embrace another summer together, we share in the sadness of this separation. As we teach at camp, it is important to support each individual – and look forward to continued connections with our campers, staff members, and families, even if it looks different for now.”
For more information, you can head to their website.